Saturday, July 19, 2008

July 9, 2008

I’m pretty sure a key component of growth is change. Just when I get to a point where I feel semi-ready for my job, bam. Role-reversal. Guess who is guiding the next Mt. Albert trip? That’s right, yours truly. Because of the large volume of trips and the conversely small amount of guides, I have been called out of retirement to once again strap on my hiking boots. (Don’t worry mom, by the time you get this I’ll probably be back in my warm bunk). It’s been interesting to watch my progression in attitudes concerning this next trip. At first I wanted nothing to do with guiding again…I had spent enough time and energy learning my new role that I wasn’t keen on re-hashing old lessons learned. Then after going on two recons in the last week my body is definitely feeling a desire for rest. But despite all these hesitations, I’m excited to once again be on the front lines. I’m excited to see if and/or how God will touch this trip. I can’t think of a better group dynamic or route that I would rather be given…It’s a father/son/friend trip lead by a man of similar character to Ernie on a route that leaves a lot of time for content. So needless to say, I’m excited to see what comes.

Well its 9 o’clock at night and time for me to start my shift of the all night gear drying session in what we affectionately call “the sauna”. I love wet tents.

I look forward to seeing and hearing from you all.

Love, Ben

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hi Ben! We think of you often, and we're excited to hear more about your Malibu Adventures. Love and prayers to the Canadian wilderness--Dustin and Holly