Wednesday, July 2, 2008

June 28, 2008

It blows me away how no matter how you come to this place, and no matter what you do here, given the slightest chance, God will stretch you. I have to apologize for not writing sooner, but my mind and body have been going at full tilt since I've gotten here. I carry a radio, a book of jobs, behind the scenes info, and I attend leadership meetings, ...but I feel the only reason that people let me lead them is out of grace alone. Every time I turn around I feel as if I'm learning a new lesson in my job, leadership and general living. I don't know if its foolishness to hope that this will change to any less frequency or if I should just learn to accept this mindset for the rest of my life.

Well enough of the reflective/introspective mumbo-shumumbo. In other news, Mackenzie (Ben's 2 year old, cousins’ daughter who is spending the summer in base camp) continually steals the heart of the camp with her sponge like vocabulary, literally adopting any word the moment it is said to her. My personal favorites include Narcolepsy, Bioluminescence, and "Rock on, dude".

It's a rich experience being on this side of the mountains, watching the new guides go through the same things I did. I'm excited to sit down with those whom I'm closest with and be an ear to them, not that I would have any mind-blowing insights to offer, but simply that I could be a source of hope?...no I'll call it a source of perseverance.

I feel a familiarity with the fact that, once again, I know I'm leaving out a myriad of details and stories. But in reality most of my attempts would fall remarkably short of properly sharing the depth and breadth of my experiences so far...and the summer hasn't technically started for us. But suffice it to say I love my staff and I love my job and I look forward to seeing God in real personal ways. I love you all and look forward to seeing you / hearing from you.

Ben

No comments: