Tuesday, July 22, 2008

There is an Oswald Chambers quote that says something to the effect that the mountain doesn’t teach us something, the mountain makes us something. I’d be really curious to look from the outside and see what I am being made into, because from the inside I feel a whirlwind of emotions, struggles and triumphs.

First things first. I left you all hanging on the news that once again I was going to go into the mountains as a guide. Despite having some of the most extreme weather I have had, (needing all 11 trip participants to set up a single tent because of the high winds/ rain) , it was one of the most supportive/encouraging trips I have been on. It was a father/son/friend trip with a broad mix of personalities, but every single one was supportive of me and my guide partner and happy to be there. (It still blows my mind that one of their favorite times on the trip was in the middle of the rain/wind storm because of how I’d pushed and stretched them)

One of the most supportive members on the trip was a South African Doctor who absolutely ate everything up. Think of the mix between the enthusiasm of Jim Pittis, the interpersonal connection of Milly Ware, and the calmness/smile of Don Hafercamp. Needless to say he and the rest of the trip members all rejuvenated my excitement for being on a Beyond trip.

On the base camp side of things, Mt. Pride continues to be a formidable peak. I am constantly learning lessons in humility, leadership and in followership? Well maybe not lessons, maybe just growth opportunities.

Its crazy how time races by here. Always something to see, think about, double-check…etc. It is becoming quite apparent that I’m not going to be able to indefinitely put off the rest of my life thus I’m thinking more and more about what the fall may bring.

Well, sorry this is all I have for now.
Until next time.

Ben

2 comments:

Joey said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures...in life...and in Christ..

Unknown said...

Beyond sounds amazing as always my friend. I know that I would trust you as my guide as i did through our two years in the Ol` ME building. I regret not being able to properly say goodbye to you after graduation. One moment you were there and the next you were gone. I hope that our paths will cross again someday. Take care and be safe up there.